Five EOIs received for Melbourne’s SRL East13 June 2022
The tunnelling contracts for Melbourne’s SRL East twin tunnels have attracted expressions of interest from five bidders.
The two contracts for the Suburban Rail Loop are for the tunnel between Cheltenham and Glen Waverley – the longest tunnelling package in Victoria’s history, and between Glen Waverley and Box Hill.
The five bidders are:
- Bouygues Construction Australia Pty Ltd
- CPB Contractors Pty Ltd, Ghella Pty Ltd and Acciona Construction Australia Pty Ltd
- John Holland Pty Ltd and Gamuda Berhad, trading as Gamuda (Australia) Branch
- Samsung C&T Corporation and Hyundai Engineering & Construction Co Ltd
- Webuild, GS Engineering and Construction Australia Pty Ltd
Three bidders will move through to a Request for Proposal process later this year, and from there two will be awarded tunnelling contracts. The first will be announced next year.
SRL East will deliver twin tunnels from Cheltenham to Box Hill with new underground stations at Cheltenham, Clayton, Monash, Glen Waverley, Burwood and Box Hill. Up to 10 TBMs will be used in the project, with tunnelling to begin in 2026.
Construction on SRL East started on June 6, with the launch of a programme of initial and early works. As well as utility protections, the initial and early works will include road modifications, service relocation and preparation for three sites where the TBMs will be launched.